99. It is just three o’clock p.m. The plane just _____ five minutes ago.
a. put on b. took on c. brought on d. turned on
a. like b. as c. with d. for
a. burst out b. burst in c. burst into d. burst forth
116.His inability to learn foreign languages was an obstacle ______ his career.
57. _____ the many hours of study that he devoted to the subject, he still found the subject matter difficult.
20. Once he was given a chance to improve his position in the firm, he seized it ______ both hands and is now on his way to the top.
96. After a heated bargaining they agreed ______ the price for the car.
a. about b. on c. up d. in
76. Science was ______ regarded as a part of philosophy.
a. at time b. at all time c. at a time d. at one time
a. bear upon b. insist on c. stand up to d. persist in
95. A foreign firm has bought more than half of the shares in his company and ______.
64. In one firm alone over three hundred people were laid _____ during the last month.
61. One day people will be able to go to the moon _____ holiday.
a. according to b. in addition to c. in regard to d. thanks to
a. related to b. included in c. involved in d. subject to
a. picked on b. picked at c. picked up d. picked out
63. Whatever the rule is, you may be sure he will keep _____ it.
97. _______ all the difficulties and discomforts, they went on working at the design.
108.We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are ______.
106. The French pianist who had been praised very highly ______ to be a great disappointment.
a. come at b. come for c. come into d. come over
a. in accordance with c. in connection with
a. besides b. except c. but d. with
103. Neither their parents nor their friends have approved ______ their marriage yet.
a. excused b. pardoned c. forgave d. apologized
a. attend to b. attempt at c. associate with d. approve of
a. makes for b. makes up for c. accounts for d. stands for
a. with b. on c. in d. out of
67. The new system encourages companies to compete with each other ______ equal terms.
24. The car pulled ______ beside me and the driver asked me to way to the Great Wall.
c. in contrast with d. in line with
a. in a long time b. in a long run c. in no time d. at no time
114.The United States is a major consumer of coffee, yet it does not have the climate to grow any ______ its own.
91. ______, wherever he lives, a man belongs to some society.
a. to b. with c. on d. in
a. in b. for c. by d. with
122.Most of the leading food shops have promised to ______ prices until after the new year.
10. He ______ so much work that he couldn’t really do it efficiently.
43. Her type of women can ______ life much more easily.
a. on b. during c. for d. in
a. down on b. upon c. out for d. around
a. As to b. Thanks to c. In relation to d. With respect to
121.Some workers fear the loss of social identity that can ______ not having a job.
31. That noise is getting louder because the engineers are ______ the engine to see if the plane is ready to fly.
125.The news of important events is broadcast often _______ over television.
a. reminded of b. absorbed in c. tended by d. concerned about
a. for b. of c. to d. with
45. It is difficult to _____ the implication between the lines.
77. The newly designed machines are high ______ quality.
53. When Jack was eighteen he ______ going around with a strange set of people and staying out very late.
59. Mary is _______ her face ready for the party.
a. on b. in c. off d. to
3. Little boys are easily ______.
17. Whoever ______ a full night’s sleep will be more than rewarded in heightened productivity, creativity and focus.
66. The mass of an object is multiplied by the speed of light squared, _____ other words , the speed of light is multiplied by itself.
a. and that b. in that c. so that d. in order that
a. dropped off b. dropped out c. dropped over d. dropped on
4. The company is going to hand ______ the free samples tomorrow.
79. The mother scolded the boy ______ not cleaning up his room.
a. breaking off b. breaking up c. breaking out d. breaking of
49. They will place China in the front ranks of countries of the world ______ the output of major industrial products.
88. The shopkeeper was ______ inside his own shop, and all the day’s money was stolen.
82. Oil drilling in that area has now stopped because the company has ______ money.
a. on b. in c. for d. with
9. Visitors are asked to comply ______ the regulations.
a. out b. away c. down d. through
101. During sleep blood pressure is normally ______ its lowest.
a. on b. in c. with d. for
18. Prior ______ his departure, he wrote a letter to his mother.
a. alone b. off c. out d. over
73. Having been told bad weather was on the way, the climbers decided to ______ their attempt on Mount Tai until the following week.
30. When they had finished playing, the children were made to ______ all the toys they had taken out.
a. In the moment b. For the moment c. At the moment d. By the moment
a. cope with b. take advantage of c. take care of d. look after
a. to b. at c. in d. for
30. The government warned the people living in the forest to be ______ fire.
a. with regard to b. on guard c. on guard against d. in regard to
a. result in b. result from c. bring up d. bring on
a. taken in b. taken away c. taken out d. taken over
46. While living there, she ______ the local accent.
21. These misfortunes almost deprived him ______ his future career.
a. in support of b. in connection with c. in terms of d. by means of
27. I’ll pick you ______ at your college gate and take you straight to the station.
44. The manager accused one of the hotel servants ______ stealing the money.
a. of b. from c. to d. in
a. in b. on c. at d. by
a. care for b. care about c. be in care of d. take care of
a. on b. for c. of d. to
a. instead of b. because of c. regardless of d. in spite of
a. with vain b. on vain c. in vain d. of vain
a. In b. With c. By d. For
83. The doctor was always ______ the poor and the sick, often giving them free medical services.
a. for b. with c. of d. about
a. for b. with c. of d. to
51. He failed to supply the facts relevant ______ the case in question.
a. in b. over c. at d. between
71. The police haven’t caught the murder alive yet, but they are convinced that the really important facts of the case will soon ________ .
a. on b. in c. at d. from
119.Many words associated with life in the West are Spanish ______ origin.
112.She was annoyed at his comment, thinking that he visitor _____ her.
28. Will you please see ______ our luggage when I am away?
85. Milk is ______ memories of home and mother so people away from home drink more milk.
a. In comparison with b. In connection with c. In contrast to d. In regard to
a. in case of b. in line with c. for the sake of d. at the risk of
a. keep off b. keep down c. keep out d. keep back
a. fell out b. fell behind c. fell in d. fell through
62. How did it come _____ that you made a lot of mistakes in your homework?
a. get to b. get into c. get over d. get at
6. The magician picked several persons ______ from the audience and asked them to help him with the performance.
70. David likes country life and has decided to ______ farming.
7. I left for the office earlier than usual this morning ______ traffic jam.
a. in b. for c. by d. from
a. on b. at c. in d. with
94. He is by far the best player ______ the team.
69. Tom has been sad recently, for his plan to go to college _____ at the last moment.
a. went after b. went down c. went off d. went up
a. acts for b. acts on c. acts as d. acts to
a. but for b. in spite of c. due to d. with regard to
86. Despite the traffic lights ahead, the car continued ______ full speed.
92. A man who could ______ such treatment was a man of remarkable physical courage and moral strength.
48. ______ the light of what you have told me, I will say that it is he who came here yesterday.
72. The teacher expects us to do all the exercises, to study the spelling list and to get our paper ______ time.
a. adapt to b. adopt to c. suit to d. conform to
120.The custom of visiting friends, relatives and neighbors on New Year’s Day is one the Old World traditions that has ______ a new form in the United States.
54. While in London, we paid a visit to the hospital founded ______ the nurse Florence Nightingale.
5. It was purely ______ chance that the mistake was discovered.
47. We adopted the new method _____ raising our efficiency.
a. clearing up b. holding up c. keeping up d. making up
a. by b. for c. in d. with
58. The early part of the concert ______ comparatively satisfactorily.
29. ______ they reached the small village before dusk.
a. by accident b. on occasion c. on average d. at random
36. Though we have no interests ______ common, we are good friends.
30. ______ my car is being made ready for a long journey.
a. doing with b. running up c. turning in d. trying for
a. up b. aside c. down d. over
123.______ classical music, which follows formal European traditions, jazz is a spontaneous and free form.
38. We can’t hope to catch up with that car ______ us.
a. come out of b. come off c. run out of d. run down
15. The thief ran away as fast as he could ______ the policeman.
a. took up b. took for c. took to d. took on
124. Alice ______ when a crowd from a train rushed through the gate.
26. When the rebellion died ______ things quickly returned to normal.
42. At the head of the valley we turned right and ______ the summit.
a. looked after b. looked in c. looked over d. looked up
a. set up b. took up c. made for d. went for
a. took off b. took up c. took out d. took in
a. at b. in c. with d. on
a. in b. across c. on d. at
30. Mary has left the book on the table ______ purpose so that you can read it.
34. Not long ago, a person who I know every well was ______ an accident.
109.In the United States professors have many other duties ______ teaching, such as administrative or research work.
37. The purse has returned to the original owner ______.
a. count on b. come on c. attend upon d. frown upon
16. For too long, European can makers have fought to ______ old ways and old privileges.
a. of b. for c. with d. to
a. in advance of b. in the front of c. at the frontier of d. ahead of
a. absorbed for b. absorbed by c. absorbed on d. absorbed in
a. cut off b. cut out c. cut up d. cut down
a. on b. in c. for d. at
a. on the average b. on the contrary c. on the spot d. on the whole
a. turned up b. turned in c. turned out d. turned down
22. I don’t ______ the expense; I want the party to be a real success.
41. Don’t suspect your daughter ______ dishonesty.
30. _______ a prolonged spell of fine weather, they were able to complete the film within the month.
33. Man is superior to the animals ______ he sues language to convey his thoughts.
a. turned over b. turned out c. turned up d. turned off
90. In Brazil, spending on science and technology ______ just 0.6 percent of gross national product.
a. piled up b. picked up c. grown up d. put up
a. make for b. make out c. make off d. make up
2. To get my traveler’s check I had to ______ a special check to the bank for the total amount.
68. You should stick _____ the point in debate.
115.The accounts have always been handled ______ the banks policies.
55. A poor man has to ______ many thing which a rich man regards as almost necessaries in life.
104. Classroom testing, if well done, most certainly ______ a stimulus to study and real learning.
113.______ comparison to my boyhood, my undergraduate years in Oklahoma were paradise.
a. got over it b. overtaken it c. taken it over d. overcome it
81. I’m bad ______ remembering faces.
23. We must get the roof mended before the wet weather sets ______.
a. Towards the end b. By the end c. In the end d. At the end
11. In order to save time, I ______ my shopping to once a week.
a. at b. in c. with d. on
a. held over b. held up c. held out d. held off
a. for b. on c. in d. to
98. all questions left ______ by history must be settled one by one.
40. Don't ______ going abroad this summer, we may not have enough money.
87. Something strange seems to be _____ me since I have been taking this drug.
78. Some quite artistic, yet inexpensive fabrics are now being _____ from British mills.
a. on b. off c. out d. up
a. invests at b. invests in c. invests by d. invests with
a. with c. over c. on d. for
52. In Britain, and on the Continent too, the Japanese are viewed _______ a threat to domestic industries.
a. to b. with c. at d. for
32. The government is looking ______ new methods of raising money without increasing taxes.
a. go through b. go without c. go over d. go about
8. Some areas, _______ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
117.The purpose of the official inquiry is to ______ the true facts leading to the loss of the ship at sea.
a. come into force b. come into contact c. come into light d. come down to earth
102. The parents and the children will have to leave the country ______ good.
a. in b. for c. at d. by
a. By b. In c. Of d. Under
111.On hearing the news that her father died, she ______ tears.
a. with b. of c. from d. beyond
13. he did everything he could to prevent if from ______ into fighting.
75. Unwanted tickets can be given ______ at the theatre office window up to half an hour before the performance.
89. Earth-like planets are extremely common in the Universe, ______ the latest computer simulation of the formation of the Solar System.
a. in line with b. in favor of c. in place d. in honor of
a. about b. after c. with d. to
a. running into b. coming across c. happening to d. falling on
a. with b. in on d. at
a. taken up b. taken on c. taken over d. taken off
a. in the event of b. on account of c. with a view of d. with regard to
107.In the advanced course students must take performance tests ______ monthly intervals.
a. in sight b. within the sight of c. within sight d. at the sight of
a. hang on to b. have access to c. refer to d. see to
a. down b. off c. up d. out
39. Some animals will modify their behavior to ______ their environment.
a. with b. in c. of d. by
a. to b. in c. with d. for
105. In the experiment we kept a watchful eye ______ the developments and recorded every detail.
a. out of work b. out of reach c. out of practice d. out of stock
a. looked down b. looked highly of c. looked low at d. looked down upon
84. The company will send a representative to ______ their business in that region.
25. After the war, many warships were laid ______ as they were not needed any longer.
a. at last b. at most c. at least d. at large
a. put off b. put away c. put up d. put out
a. Because of b. In proportion with c. As a result of d. In spite of
56. Digital computers are practical ______ their high speed of operation.
74. Bill did not hear the telephone because he was completely ______ his reading.
a. in b. out c. off d. over
110.he attempted ______ to set up a company of his own.
14. The construction of the new building will cost ______ 1,000,000 dollars, and it’s not easy to get so much money.
12. The idea has ______ that science cannot be wrong.
118.Business picked up in the stores during December, but ______ again after Christmas.
a. After b. Due to c. Despite d. As for
a. bound to b. kept to c. referred to d. tied to
a. For short b. In short c. Of short d. On short
35. I ______ to him for the error.
93. Is his action consistent ______ his principles?
a. give up b. deny to c. put off d. refuse to
a. of b. to c. for d. as
a. put up b. stand up to c. stand with d. put up with
a. in b. at c. for d. on
65. The safety of shops ______ sea depends much on the warnings given by lighthouses.
19. The company is very famous ______ the high quality of its products.
1. She is such an irritating woman, I don’t know how you can ______ her.
a. up b. out c. on d. down
a. go in for b. go into c. go through d. go after
a. in b. out c. on d. off